Seems like someone somewhere is having a bad day. Simpsons Hit and Run (SHAR) has been leaked via 4chan. Not entirely sure how it dropped but as someone extremely interested in game development, projects releasing like this is a fantastic learning opportunity to see what is out there working in the real world. This one is especially great as it effectively comes with all the documentation concerning the entire game development process.
To be clear, not going to link the mirror links that are everywhere on the internet, but I’ll help you get setup!
Note, currently something I am working on so you’ll see this updated every now and then
Windows XP VM
- Setup Windows XP VM
- Install .net version 1.0 (https://download.cnet.com/Microsoft-NET-Framework-Redistributable-1-0/3055-10250_4-10725994.html)
- Install Visual Studio 2002
- Open the project
- Rebuild the project. If you build it at this stage you’ll have about 600 errors, you need to rebuild the entire thing
- (NOTE, I HAD THIS MOUNTED ON A NETWORK PATH, THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE, EXTRACT SHAR TO YOUR LOCAL DISK)
- Navigate to shar\game\build\win32\Release and your newly compiled Simpsons Hit and Run should now be there!
Now, developing on Windows XP with Visual Studio 2002, isn’t exactly the best thing ANYONE would recommend, so let’s work on exporting to Visual Studio 2019.